Pages

Thursday, May 30, 2013

Sita's Walk-2

Sita Janaki, Princess of Mithila, daughter of King Janaka, was the not the easiest to please. Her father, Kin Janaka, was finding it hard to find her a husband, arranges a Swayamvara where a princess can chose her own husband from the assembly of Princes, Warriors, Kings, merchants and learned men. And this time he arranges a contest where each participant will have to string Pinaka, Shiva’s bow and hit a target. When the king informs Sita about the Swayamvara, she has a few words with him.

She looks at him with steel in her eyes
and asks “What do you mean, win
me in marriage father?
Am I a chattel, an object, a prize 
to be won? Look at me, I am,
the daughter of a king,
a Kshatriya who can lift the Pinaka,
Shiva’s bow with one hand!
I am a singer, a dancer,
a princess and a warrior!”

She raises her voice, “Why can’t I follow my heart?
Why this Swayamvar? Who will be this man?
Is he a warrior or a king?
He might be a prince of his land, but will
he be a prince of my heart?”

And she whispers softly and firmly

“Will he be MY equal?”

No comments:

Post a Comment